Saturday, September 18, 2010

Interview with choreographer Keone Madrid and Mariel Martin

Keone Madrid is the choreographer of Se7en's 'Digital Bounce' and 'Better Together', while Mariel Martin worked for 2NE1. The following are only the part when they mentioned Se7en. Full interview can be read over at wwlyna@wp.

Question: Is this the first time you’ve worked with an artist?
Keone : I got to choreograph with Shaun for TaeYang “Just a feeling”, but Se7en was the first hands on experience because it was basically just me.

Question: How does it feel working with an artist?
Keone : It was an amazing experience! At first, I was a little worried because of the pressure. It was my first time working with an artist, it was se7en’s first comeback in 4 years, we only had 4 days, etc. But after I got to settle in the first couple days I was able to get comfortable and just do what I do! I definitely learned a lot during this time.

Question: How where you able to get into YG Entertainment? Did someone recommend you to them?
Keone : Basically YG was looking for someone who is taller and dances big, to work with Se7en. He asked Shaun Evaristo, and Shaun was able to show him some of my work and YG enjoyed it! Thank you Shaun!

Question: Have you known Se7en (Choi Dong Wook) even before you get to work with him?
Keone : I actually heard a little about him because I knew he was big in Korea. I knew that Twitch and Marty was able to work with him before too. I was just excited to meet him, because I had a feeling he was excited to get back in the game. His music was great before, but after hearing his new stuff I already knew he wanted to come out fresh and new.

Question: What is your first impression of Se7en when you met him in person?
Keone : I thought, wow he speaks great English! haha. He’s a really cool guy and really nice. Not intimidating or diva-like at all.

Question: What is your basis in creating a concept for choreography?
Keone : The first thing I think of is, “how does the song make me feel?”. I believe feeling is so important and if it doesn’t “feel” right then it usually doesn’t look right. For Se7en I wanted him to feel comfortable, but fresh at the same time. I knew he hadn’t come out in a long time so I had to do something right for HIM.

Q: What can you say about Se7en?
Mari : Keone and I got to get acquainted with Se7en the most. He is super cool, a great person who is very seasoned in what he does. He is so talented and he has this incredible voice. He’s always singing! Haha and we’re always listening like, “shoot this guy is good.”
Keone : As an artist he is definitely talented! When we would be taking a break or just hanging out he was always singing! Whether it would be fun or serious everyone in the room was thinking, “damn this guys good” haha. As a person he’s really down to earth. Doesn’t act too cool or anything. In fact, our last night he went out of his way to come visit me, Shaun, and Mari at the NB club just to say bye. Although it’s a small gesture it means a lot that he would come out of his way, especially on a day when he had rehearsal and filming for the teasers.

Question: How is it working them?
Keone : Working with Se7en is great! He helped me out a lot and we communicated to each other very well. If something did or didn’t work he was always willing to try it out. He also helped translate a lot for me to the other dancers who couldn’t understand English too well.

Question: Do you have remarkable moments with them that you would like to share?
Keone : During the first couple of days Se7en hurt his back. He had to get shots and was taking pain killers. I was a bit worried because he wasn’t able to dance or learn the choreography as he would just sit and watch. But on the first day he was able to dance he came right in and didn’t miss a beat. I was amazed! I was reminded at that moment how much of a professional and a veteran he is. After that all my biggest worries were gone because I had no question that I was working with someone who knows what he’s doing.

From Left to Right: Shaun Evaristo, Keone Madrid, Se7en, and Mari Martin
Credit: Lyna4u